Make it Count

Do you like to make lists?  I do.  I am a planner and will list all the things I must do during my day and then check them off one by one.  If I do something that is not on the list, I will add it just so I can mark it off.  I know this may be a bit odd, but I find satisfaction in seeing the list of tasks all marked off at the end of the day.

                I have also learned another important lesson, to do one thing that counts is better than counting twenty things on a list.  I am a firm believer in planning your day.  If you spend just a few moments every evening or first thing in the morning planning what needs to be done, you will save hours of time being disorganized.  However, the key to a good list is to set priorities of what tasks must be focused on and what are "fillers".

                It does not take a professional to know that not everything we do during our day is important or even needed.  By scheduling your priorities, you can keep yourself focused on the things that matter.  You can get the tasks that need your full attention at the time when your full attention is at its peak.  For example, my best time of day is between 9:00 - 11:00 am.  I think my best at that time and I have more energy.  This is the time I schedule to do my writing.  I know that I can get more done and produce the best quality during this time than any other time of day. 

                What is your best time?  Some people are morning people and some night.  Some do their best after lunch or at the end of their day.  Find out what your best time is and then plan to do the tasks that require your best during those times.  You will not only find that you do a better job, but you will feel better while doing it. 

"Don't count the things you do, do the things that count."
- Zig Ziglar
(1926-2012)
American Author/Speaker

                If you are just starting to use the principle of planning your day, here is a suggestion for you to make it the most effective thing you do.

List Your Priorities
                Make two lists to start with, not a list for the day but a list for the month.  One list should be all the important tasks you must do.  Mark them 1,2,3 and so on in order of priority.  The second list is for everything else.  This can be trips to the store, phone calls and appointments. 

Plan Your Day
                Each day, incorporate these lists into your daily schedule.  Always put the priorities at your best time.  Note, I said your best time, not at the start of your day.  I know we are often told that we need to do the hard things first and get them out of the way. It is what Mark Twain called, “eating a frog for breakfast”.  However, if the start of your day is not your best time to focus, you will not give the quality of work needed for the task.  Always work within your strengths, and not out of your weaknesses.

Stay Committed
                Acting to get the most out of your day is a deliberate act.  It will never just happen; you have to make it happen.  That means that you must create a plan and stay with that plan every day.  When you stop, your progress will also stop.  Action is a decision, not a natural result of desire.

You can learn more about Personal Development from author and speaker, John Patrick Hickey.  To get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com. Be sure to sign up for the free membership and get even more tools to help you achieve your dreams.  
© 2018 John Patrick Hickey. No part of this may be reprinted or published without permission of the author.


Comments

Popular Posts