It is Not Too Hard


 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you,

nor is it out of reach."

Deuteronomy 30:11

 

The great evangelist Billy Graham (1918-2018) said, "Read the Bible. Work hard and honestly. And don't complain." What a great bit of advice. After all, we do tend to complain a lot. Not just about work, school, or family life, but about the thing we have no control over – life itself. As a person of faith, I believe that God is in control of my life. I believe that He loves me and has a plan for me. I believe He sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die for my sins so I can have eternal life with Him. Yet – and I am not alone here – when this gets difficult or I face challenges, the first thing I do is question Him and complain that life is too hard.

            Recently while doing my morning Bible reading, I came across this verse in the Book of Deuteronomy. It jumped out at me like a cat waiting to pounce. "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach." When I think about this, I know God has not asked me to do anything I could not do. Any time I have fallen along the way has been of my choosing and not because it was too hard. That is a hard reality to face.

            Read through the Gospels and note what Jesus told His disciples and those He came in contact with to do. He did not say they have to perform so many tasks to prove they are worthy of being His disciples. He did not give them a list of rules to follow before they could join the gang. He said, "Follow Me." That sounds simple enough, but as you see in the Gospels and our own lives, it was not so easy to do.

            Many use the Old Testament Law and its rules and ordinances to make Christianity look like an unreasonable path to take. They tell themselves and others that to be accepted by God, you must be good and do just what He says – no mistakes. The truth is that all Jesus says is Follow Me. Will you stay the same? No. Everyone who came in contact with Jesus changed. But they did not make the change; the Holy Spirit working in their life made the change. All they were asked to do was Follow Me.

            Do not worry about what you have done or your challenges – just follow. Don't think that God will reject you or not help you. He sends no one away; He only says Follow Me. Do not think you must follow some person or group that calls you. Run from such people. Jesus tells you, Follow Me. He is there for you with open arms and a loving heart. And all you have to do is Follow Jesus.

 

You can learn more about Personal Development from the author and speaker, John Patrick Hickey. To get his books, training material, or book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website: www.growthcenter.net.  © 2022 John Patrick Hickey. No part of this material may be reprinted or published without the author's written permission.

Comments

Popular Posts