Four Ways to Make the Impossible Possible

" The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination."
- Tommy Lasorda
Coach

When I was a teenager I had one desire, to write.  I loved to read and writing just made sense to me.  But life happens and things did not go as I had planned it.  I did some writing, took classes and even sold a few articles, but I was too irresponsible to stay with it.  My life as a young person was not disciplined or focused and therefore I did not achieve what I wanted to do.

                When I reached adulthood the desire to write was still there, lurking in the shadows of my mind.  I have always written, but not in a focused and discipline style.  Again, life happened and I kept putting my dream on the back burner while I did other things.  But as dreams tend to do, it never went away.  The when I was in my late 20's, early 30's, I read a book that changed my life.  It was Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.  It really was not the "grow rich" part that hit me, it was the "think".

                I learned that if I was going to achieve my dreams "I", not someone else, had to take action and make it happen.  I want to share with you four thing that I have found to work every time they are used.

1)  Write it all out - in detail
                I think the most common advise given when it comes to goal setting is to write the goals down.  It is also the most common bit of advice to be ignored.  Believe me, if you cannot take the first step you will never make it to the end.  Write down your goal in detail.  What does it look like, sound like, feel like, taste like.  Know it so well that when you close your eyes you can reach out and touch it.  Writing out the goal makes it real and gives it power.

2)  Gather things to look at
                Go through magazines, pictures, drawings, anything that you can see the goal before you.  Gather reminders and put them in a book that you can pull out and look at.  This will help you to visualize the goal and keep it fresh in your mind.  Not everyone had the ability to picture things in their mind, for some of us, we need help.  gathering pictures and material that show us the goal is just the thing.

3)  Review it every chance you have
                Some will tell you to write out the goal and review it every day.  Some say twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.  I say to carry it with you and read it every chance you get.  Fill your mind with the goal so that everything you see, do and think is connected to the achievement of the goal.

4)  Never give up
                When you hit the wall or things do not go as planned (and I promise you this will happen), remember to never, never give up.  Get back up and keep moving.  Start over if you have to.  Just do not change the goal, never settle for something less and go for it again and again till you have achieved all you had hoped to.

                It took me many years of trying, rejections and hard work to get that first book out there.  Now I am waiting for the publication of my fourth book.  Have I achieved all I hoped to?  Not at all, I am still going for it, still working hard and still enjoying my journey to achievement.


To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

Comments

Popular Posts