Build a Bonfire

Several years ago, I had a desire to learn how to play golf.  I am not what can be called a sportsman.  My idea of the perfect Sunday afternoon is not kicking back and watching the “game” on TV, but rather kicking back with a good book in hand.  Wanting to do something, I decided that golf may be the perfect sport for me.  So I added it to my goals list and found someone who was willing to teach me.  That was about seven years ago, I have still never picked up a golf club.

                It is not that I disliked golf; seemed like the right thing for me to do.  The problem is that I really had a weak desire to play, at best.  As will most weak desires, it never caused me to take the action needed to make it happen.  After a few years of golf being on my goals list and my not taking any action, I decided to remove it and really have not thought much about it since.

"Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat."
- Napoleon Hill
(1883-1970)
Author/Businessman

                Many people have goals like this.  They have goals they “think” they want to do.  Some add goals that others have told them they “should” do.  Still, others add goals that they think they are “supposed” to do.  The reality is, unless a goal is what you really “want” to do, it will not happen.  Without the fire of desire for the achievement of a goal, you will not build the energy to go after it.

                Are there goals that you have had on your goals list for more than a year?  Is there something that you have thought about doing but just can’t somehow seem to get on with it?  Maybe that is because there is only a weak desire to achieve it in the first place.  It is the time that you re-evaluate your goals and sees just what goals you really want and what you think you want.

                If you find goals that are weak and never seem to get off the ground, drop them.  It does not matter how much you think you should do them or how much others think you should, the fact is, you will not do them at all.  How do you know the goals that have a strong desire behind them?  Easy, they are the ones you are doing and taking action on.  All else is just needless stuff that will slow you down.

You can learn more about Personal Development from author and speaker, John Patrick Hickey.  To get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at www.johnpatrickhickey.com. Be sure to sign up for the free membership and get even more tools to help you achieve your dreams.  
© 2018 John Patrick Hickey. No part of this may be reprinted or published without the permission of the author.


Comments

Popular Posts