When Age Has Purpose

 


"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer person is decaying,

yet our inner person is being renewed day by day."

2 Corinthians 4:16

 

When I go to a Doctor's appointment (I seem to have many more of them these days), the receptionist will ask how I am today. Like to say, "For a young man, I am in terrible shape, but I am doing great for an old guy." I often get back a quick response, "You're not old." I understand the kindness offered; the fact is I am 72, I am old, and I worked hard to get to this age, so don't take it away from me.

            Like many men and women my age, we do slow down and cannot do many physical things we once did. Of course, you will have those few who can still run marathons and wrestle a bear all before breakfast, but for most of us, those days are past.

            This, however, does not mean our usefulness is past. We are entering to most valuable time of our lives. With the passing years come experience and lessons that, to the wise student, are worth more than any college degree.

            I have always found it a bit foolish that businesses move the most learned and experienced people out to be replaced by inexperienced and too often fool-hearty younger people. Why not keep the older staff around to train and guide the younger? Polish poet Stanislaw Jerzy Lec (1909-1966) put it beautifully when he said, "Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art."

            Those who have gained knowledge and some understanding through life should not keep it to themselves. Be generous with what God has taught you in life. Be a mentor to those in your family and too young people that God has placed in your path. You may touch the life of the very person that God will use to change the world. You do not know the influence you can have on a life or on every life.

            Well-known author and Bible commentator Matthew Henry (1662-1714) wrote, "If I may but be instrumental to make [others] wise and good, wiser and better, more watchful against sin and more careful of their duty both to God and man,…more in love with God and His word, I have all I desire, all I aim at."

            I share that desire. If my life can show someone the path to God and help them live a godly life fulfilling their purpose, I have succeeded. Make it your purpose to find someone with whom you can share your knowledge and wisdom. Not telling them what to do or how to live, but guiding them and showing them the way. You have far more influence than you know. You may change the world and not even know it.

 

You can learn more about Personal Development from the author and speaker, John Patrick Hickey. To get his books, training material, or book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website: www.growthcenter.net.    © 2022 John Patrick Hickey. No part of this material may be reprinted or published without the author's written permission.

Comments

Popular Posts