A Change of Heart

"I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday."
- Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865) Former U.S. President

The day of this writing is the day after Memorial Day.  Memorial Day is a special day for me.  I have a gratitude and appreciation for those who have served this country in times of war and in peace.  So many good men and woman have willingly laid their lives down so that we can all enjoy the freedoms we have.  There are people who I love and respect who have fought for me and my freedom.  This feeling of gratitude has not always been there nor have I always been a supporter of our Armed Forces.  So Memorial Day reminds me of my freedom and it reminds me of my shame.

                Several year ago I spent the day at the National Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.  It was a wonderful experience for a history buff like myself.  They had a special exhibit there at that time about the POW's during the Viet Nam War.  This was a truly emotional moment for me that I will never forget.

                During the 1960's I was part of the Hippie culture, a 60's child to the fullest.  While so many young men were being drafted, I was on the streets protesting the war.  I will not now get into all my thinking process, but I will say that I was not the proud American I am today.  As I looked at the exhibit of the POW's, tears ran down my face as I could only feel shame.  I did a lot in my life that I am not proud of and that I find regretful and embarrassing now; but when I realized what others suffered for me while I mocked and ridiculed them, I could only feel deep shame.

                I was not the same person then as I am today, and I am grateful for that.  I give credit to the change in my life to two powerful forces.  One is that at age 24 I came into a relationship with Jesus Christ and that changed me, in every way, forever.  The second force was that I grew up.  When I was a self-centered, irresponsible kid it was one thing, once I became a responsible adult that discovered that serving others was much more important than serving myself, things in my life changed.

                Few things sadden me more than to see people, who after years of life, have not changed or grown at all.  We all have done things we regret in life, but we grow up and move on.  The tragic thing is when people never grow up.  They do the same stupid and destructive things as adults that they did as kids.  Success-minded people understand that there is no success in life without change and no change without growth.

                I could go on for pages talking about the change I experienced and that of others.  I could tell you of those who refused to change and have suffered because of it.  Maybe I will some time, but for today, I will only confess my shame and regret for some foolish ideas and actions I did in my youth.

                This does not mean that I am now a supporter of war.  No one, at least no one in their right mind, wants war.  No one also knows the horror and destructiveness of war better than those who have fought them.  In the words of General William Tecumseh Sherman, "War is hell!"  However, I now understand that wars happen.  There are bad people in this world who wish to destroy us and our way of life.  Without the brave men and woman who fight those battles, we would all be lost.

                I have on more than one occasion openly apologized for my past actions to our veterans.  I do so now with great humility and shame.  But I can also say that I am not who I was yesterday.  I have grow, matured and become wiser by experience.

                Let's remember that Memorial Day is not just one day to honor those who serve and have served.  We should do that every day.  Each day we live in freedom we must thank those who have won that freedom for us.  If you are a vet, or have a vet in your family, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I owe you!


To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

Comments

Popular Posts