Never Get Old

"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams."
- John Barrymore
(1882-1942) Actor

The time has come in my life that I think about getting old.  I am not saying that I am old, however I am "older" than I was.  I have some of the minor discomforts that come with age and I cannot do all the things I did back a few years ago.  However, I feel great and I can still do what I want.  Most of all I have hope for tomorrow, a dream to pursue and a belief that I will live forever.

                Sadly, I have seen some people, and some are close friends and family, who have aged quickly and not so gracefully.  They have given up on new dream and resigned themselves to sitting out the remaining days they have just looking back and never looking forward.  I believe that the lack of a dream and the willingness to keep looking at what was rather than what can be, is the marker of old age.

                "You are never too old", said writer and theologian, C.S. Lewis, "to dream a new dream or set a new goal."  Success-minded people are not success-minded only when they are young.  These people know that as long as the Lord keeps them on the planet they have a job to do, new goals to set and new discoveries to make.  It is the ability to set new goals and take action to achieve them that keeps us young.  Likewise, it is the inability to see a new tomorrow that makes us old.

                I have known people who are in their 80's who get up each day with a new and excited attitude because they have dreams to achieve and as long as they have breath they will go after them.  I have also known people in their 30's who face each day with no dream, no ambition and no reason to make it to tomorrow.  I have been with people who are confined to their beds by illness who have purpose and hope for their tomorrows.  I have also been with those who are in perfect health who refuse to attempt to do anything that would involve effort or energy.

                Life is a wonderful gift, but as with all gifts, it is only useful to those who choose to receive it.  I may age, but I will never be old.  I may not be able to do some of the things I did years ago, however, I can achieve more today and ever in my life.  I fondly remember my yesterdays, I am excited about my tomorrows and I love and will fully live my today's. 

                Life can be great if you only determine to be your best, have good manners, love God, discover the unknown and change your world.  It is all up to you and the decision can only be made today.  Be excellent!


To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

Comments

Popular Posts