THE PRICE OF RIGHT


 "For it is better if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong."

1 Peter 3:17

 

I remember as a child being taught that if you do what is right, you will be alright. You do not have to worry about getting into trouble or being punished if you obey the law and always do the right thing. As I grew into an adult, I sadly found that is not the case.

            I will start by doing the right thing and telling you the truth. I have not always done the right thing. I have at times turned sin into an art form. I do not say this with pride. I am ashamed of every time I have sinned and disgraced the name of my sweet Lord Jesus. I echo the words of John Newton (1725-1807) "Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly: I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior."

            Here is the paradox I have seen in life. Sin and to do wrong is very easy and, at times, can be rewarding. I have also seen the good and righteous punished for doing right. I think of the many martyrs who have willingly given their lives for what is right and true. Even today, we see those who tell the truth and refuse to compromise God's word labeled as bigots and mistreated by even their own families.

            I believe this is why we see so much of Christianity today as a mere shadow of the true faith. No one likes to suffer; Christians, especially those in America, have a very low tolerance for pain. We cry to God if we are called names while our brothers and sisters worldwide are beaten, raped, beheaded, and abused. It wasn't like we were not warned. Paul tells us in his 2nd letter to Timothy 3:12, "Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." Note that he did not say "might be" but "will be."

            God has blessed us to live in a wonderful nation where we have the freedom to worship as we choose. In this freedom, we must rejoice and give thanks for God's protection and blessing. At the same time, let us not forget His mercy and grace toward us and do all we can to share the Gospel around us and aid in any way possible to help our brothers and sisters who suffer for Christ.

            Let us be bold in our love for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Let us be His true disciples and love one another, obey His commandments and do what is right – no matter the cost. May all who see us see the marks of the risen Lord in our life. May we be that light on a hill and show the fallen and broken world the one thing Jesus could not show then Himself – a sinner saved by grace.

 

You can learn more about Personal Development from the author and speaker, John Patrick Hickey. To get his books, training material, or book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website: www.growthcenter.net.    © 2022 John Patrick Hickey. No part of this material may be reprinted or published without the author's written permission.

Comments

Popular Posts