WHEN A LIBRARY IS BURNED

 


"So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom."

Psalm 90:12

 

 

One of the many jobs paths I have had in my life was working in an exclusive nursing home in Vermont. It was a lovely place where people were well cared for and a place where I met some wonderful people. This was a place that, as described to me by one of the residence, "people with money could stash away their loved ones and not feel guilty about doing so."

            One of the residents was an older man I will call Mr. Kelly. Mr. Kelly had a private room which he seldom left. He was a former university professor and an avid reader. He was also very much alone. In the 18 months or so that I knew Mr. Kelly, I knew of twice that his family came to see him. Yet he never complained or made a fuss. Mr. Kelly was a quiet man but willing to talk if presented with the opportunity. When he did speak, it did not take long to discover that Mr. Kelly was a true fountain of wisdom.

            What started as my talking with Mr. Kelly while I was working in his room soon led to my taking breaks and lunch with him in his room. He was one of the fascinating people I had known. He had a deep knowledge of almost any topic, yet he never came across as sounding superior or condescending. Mr. Kelly always made you feel like you were more intelligent than you thought.

            One of the saddest things in society is our quick dismissal of the aged. We may not put them all in nursing homes or exile them to their rooms, but their wisdom and knowledge are ignored. We think we know better. Times have changed, and they are out of touch and behind the times.

            I do not believe that wisdom comes from age. However, age does offer life experience, and with that experience, one can gain understanding. This is why I have kept a journal for so many years. I desire to pass on what bit of knowledge and wisdom I can to my family after I am gone. To lose that from our aged family members is to lose an inheritance worth far more than any financial treasure we could leave behind.

            I came into work after a few days off to find Mr. Kelly had peacefully died in his sleep. His room was empty, and there was no trace left behind other than the one he left in my life. An old African proverb says, "When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground." I believe that is an accurate and true statement. Our seniors, men, and women are the most extraordinary collection of wisdom, knowledge, and history. Please do not put them on a shelf to collect dust. Once they are gone, only the ashes remain.

 

You can learn more about Personal Development from the author and speaker, John Patrick Hickey. To get his books, training material, or book him to speak to your church, business, or group, visit our website: www.growthcenter.net.    © 2022 John Patrick Hickey. No part of this material may be reprinted or published without the author's written permission.

Comments

Popular Posts