Challenged to Success

" Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you."
- John Wooden
(1910-2010) Coach

In 1974 I experienced a profound and permanent change in my life.  I had become a Christian.  I need not get into all the details of my before or after experience, but allow me to say that it was a drastic change from who I was.  A year after this experience I joined the Salvation Army in a small town in Vermont.  I was excited about the opportunity to serve God and others in this great organization.  What I found was a challenge that took me to levels of understanding that I did not know was possible.

                This challenge was not in serving the poor of the community.  It was not in the hours and hours of work that was involved in working at a Salvation Army Corps.  My challenge came in the form of a 70 year old woman who was the Brigadier I served under.  She was not hard or unfair.  In fact, she was one of the kindest people I have ever known.  The challenge came to my faith and what I believed.  No matter what I said I believe in my Christian life, she would argue with me.  We spent hours searching out Scriptures trying to prove to her that I knew what I believed.  I later realized that that was her point all along.

                It was in her challenging me to prove what I believed that I was able to really know what and why I believed.  It was never a case that we could believe something just because we were told so, or that it was just what Christian's believed.  She wanted me to know what it was and why I believed it.  This was a lesson I carry with me to this day and I will forever be grateful for her caring enough to help me learn.

                We all have things that we say we believe in life but when challenged we really cannot explain why.  And by-the-way, to claim that it is just faith does not work.  Faith without solid understanding will lead to all kinds of nonsense.  Success-minded people need to not just know what they believe about life, faith and success, but why they believe it. 

                How do you develop this type of thinking so you really understand what and why you believe in something?  Find someone to argue with you.  That's right - argue.  We have this idea that to argue is a bad thing and should at all cost be avoided.  The truth is that most people who avoid arguments are not taking the higher ground but are hiding in fear that their lack of real knowledge will be exposed.

                Now, I have no time to waste on arguing with people over silly and needless things.  There are those who argue just to argue.  Even Scripture tells us not to waste time arguing with fools.  However, when we argue and discuss with people of knowledge and understanding, you sharpen your mind, create a deeper understanding of a subject and grow.  When we are challenged we are responsible to defend what we believe and to study it deeper and to think of things from different perspectives.

                Orville and Wilbur Wright were known for their heated, yet very productive arguments.  Charlie Taylor, their mechanic, would tell of how they would get into arguments about aviation and during the course of the argument they would actually switch sides and argue from the other one's view point.  In the end, there was no hard feelings - there was success.

                Who do you know that shares the same passions as you but may know more than you do about the subject?  Even better, who do you know that believes differently than you do?  Find that person and engage in a discussion.  Challenge their thinking and ask questions.  Prove your views and allow them to prove theirs.  In the end, you will both be better and know far more.  Remember, you knowledge is limited to what you know.  To have a greater knowledge you need help from those who know more than you do.  A good, productive and caring argument is just the thing to change it all.


To read more from John Patrick Hickey or to get his books, training and book him to speak to your church, business or group, visit our website at http://www.growthcenter.net or www.johnpatrickhickey.com.   © 2014 John Patrick Hickey

Comments

Popular Posts